The New 9-to-5: Should Is Shit
Trying to build a business when you're working solo is difficult enough without worrying about your vision and mission getting lost in the black hole that is "life".
There've been many times I've either doubted myself to the point of almost quitting, or become so narcissistic that I began to annoy myself. I've found that regular self-reflection (aka: putting myself in check) is the key to maintaining my definition of success & personal happiness.
Here are some reminders I give myself every time I’m feeling lost, acting like a jerk, or doubting myself again:
• You never "should have" done anything. Everything you did was the right thing to do - even if it was wrong at the time. Remember, "should is shit."
• You will never be entitled to anything. No one owes you. There's no such thing as "fair" or reliability when it comes to anyone except yourself. You're making your own life. You're the only one responsible for you.
• Feeling sorry for yourself is never a good use of energy. Refrain from wallowing and self-pity. Get over that shit.
• Redirect. Fix a problem or move on from one.
• Make sure you're still hanging out with twenty-something's. They are the future and you are an influence. We all need to learn from each other.
• Take a step back to reflect on what you consider to be an accomplishment. Sometimes you can get so wrapped up in the minor details, you can miss the major ones.
• You are not better than anyone else. You’re where you are because you’ve learned to identify opportunities and how to take advantage of them. And you probably had some help along the way.
• Share your knowledge and experiences with others as often as possible. Give.
If you feel like you may have lost touch with reality, or are on the verge of doing so, remember science. Science explains everything.
• Take the time to separate your emotions from making any decisions. Emotions can really fuck your shit up.
• Remember where you came from.
• When is the last time you talked to your childhood friends? Catch up with them once in awhile- on Skype, Google Hangouts or in person. It's like catching up with a part of yourself and helps to keep you grounded.
• Value your body. It's an amazing machine. Always pay attention to what it tells you it needs.
• If you can't bend over and touch your toes, you better start doing yoga again.
• Throw stuff away. Renew. If you're feeling sentimental, take a picture.
• Always watch where you put your feet. Metaphorically, and literally.
• Keep growing. Keep learning. Keep moving. Keep loving.
• Every day is the best day of your life.
So, depending on how you’re feeling, pick one of these things to be your “mantra” for a week. I promise you, if nothing else, you’ll be a little less of an ass and a lot more whole.